Sunday, March 30, 2008

Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Chest Pain

Has this happened to you? Well let me explain my story and how it was all related to my diet.
It all started after I had my last child, and I mean right after I had my last child. I seriously thought that I had some kind of heart trouble, neurological disorder and emotional problems. When I went to the doctor I explained all my symptoms and they of course wanted to put me on prescriptions, I am not one to take pills and I was not going to accept taking pills as an answer to my symptoms.
What I first noticed was trembling, I could tell I was going to have an episode because my stomach would get all knotted up and I would feel anxious, then my legs would start to tremble then of course my whole body would start to shake. I was so cold that I would have to wrap in a blanket or go outside and stand in the hot July sun. Then after about 5 - 10 minutes it would go away. This would happen several times a week.
Another symptom that I was my jaws would ache, almost like I had been clenching them all day and I would get these terrible headaches, I had a hard time concentrating and I would get light headed, my eyes would ache and I would feel real tired.
Anxiety attacks, I hated to be alone, I was scared to be alone, all day I would worry about crazy off the wall stuff, like what if my heart was going to suddenly stop, what if a stranger showed up at the house and took me, I did not want to be alone. My worst episode was when I had hit my elbow and of course this hurt, I suddenly started think of the worst things like; nerve damage, unable to use my arm and so on. Anyway my whole body started to burn, I mean seriously, my skin felt like it was burning and tingly I could feel it all the way up to ears. I had to lay on the cold floor and convince myself that I was okay, it took all night for this to pass.
Chest and stomach pains, I would get shooting pains in my chest and my left arm would ache.. now I am only 30 years old. So how could this be heart problems? So I had to wear a heart monitor for 3 days, this of course turned up nothing. My stomach, right at the diaphragm would get rock hard, tender to the touch and you could literally see my pulse. I had a CT scan. This of course turned up nothing.
Over time the list of problems grew and grew and I was not going back to the Dr. to get on more pills. So I researched all my symptoms on the internet and I had also remember my mom mentioning that she had a book on hypoglycemia, why this came to mind I do not know. So I took it as a sign and looked up hypoglycemia on the internet. I was astonished at what I had found. EVERY single symptom that they listed, is everything that I was going through.
I had decided that one more visit to the Dr's office was not a bad idea, I had requested to be tested for hypoglycemia, the dr. thought I was crazy but agreed to the test.
I was scheduled to go to the hospital a few days later. I could not eat or drink anything before I went it in, when I got there they drew my blood, then I had to drink the nasty sweet glucose drink, then sit at the hospital for three hours. Every hour on the hour they tested my blood. By the time I was ready to leave I was half sick, feeling week and very hungry. So I got out of there as soon as I could, fuled up my car and bought a sandwhich. I almost drove myself back to the hospital becuase I felt like I was going to pass out. I ended up sitting in the store parking lot, eating my sandwhich and guzzling a gatorade and within minutes my symptoms had passed. I had felt better but was physically drained. I drove home and took a nap.
A few days later I went back for my Dr. appointment and come to find out I am hypoglycemic. What this means is that my body can not tolerate sugar, which of course is my addiction. I love sweet stuff. I had learned that I needed to watch what I ate and try to eat more good carbs, and stay away from all the sugary things. Now I eat more proteins, cheese, yogurts, fruits nuts and crackers.
Once I broke the cycle of eating all that sugar my symptoms completely went away and I can manage this hypoglycemia with my diet. If stray and drink a pop, I pay for it big time, I get a headache and very tired.
I hope this helps some of you, it is not intended to be used as medical advice. Be sure to consult your dr. for any treatment and research hypoglycemia if you think this might be your problem too.
Happy Health!!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites